Here at MEA, we use an online reading intervention program called Lexia for students who are working below the expected reading standards for their age. There are two versions of this program: Core 5 for younger students and students whose first language is not English, and PowerUp for older students. Both programs work really well for students with students who have special educational needs and those whose first language is not English.
The programs are designed to help students to become better, more confident readers. They are supported to develop their knowledge and reading skills relating to understanding of words, grammar and texts that they read. It helps them to secure the vocabulary and comprehension skills necessary for academic success.
Being an online computer program makes Lexia accessible and available for students to use independently and from home. It is also personalised and adapts to the progress of each student. We recommend spending at least 20 minutes a day on Lexia. The more time spent on the program, the more a student’s reading will improve.
If your child is part of one of our Foundation Learning classes, they would normally complete this intervention program in school. However, during the national lockdown, we expect students to use the program from home.
Here’s how it works:
- The first time your child logs on, the session will begin with an activity to place them on a level appropriate to them.
- Then, they should work through the activities for 20-30 minutes per day, Monday to Friday.
- Your child will be given a weekly usage target in their account online and they should try to meet this each week. The more they do, the more their reading will improve.
- To reward your child for consistent hard work, they will earn ‘streaks’ and will receive rewards within their online account. We will also provide school rewards for regular use of the program at home.
- Your child’s Foundation Learning English teacher will be able to see the work they complete online and how long they spend on the program. They will monitor how they are doing and will get in contact if they notice your child really struggling or if they are not doing 20-30 minutes per day.
When your child returns to school after the national lockdown, they will continue to use this program in their Foundation Learning lessons in school. We will then review progress made at the end of the spring term.
How to log on:
Most students will need to click on the link for Lexia PowerUp. Some students (they will know) will need to use Lexia Core5.
Lexia Core5 Student Login: https://www.lexiacore5.com
Lexia PowerUp Student Login: https://www.lexiapowerup.com
- If you are using a desktop computer or laptop, you can access PowerUp through the web browser by going to
www.lexiapowerup.com or www.lexiacore5.com Please use Chrome,Safari,Firefox,or Microsoft Edge.Internet Explorer is not supported.
- If you are using an iPad,search for Lexia PowerUp or Lexia Core5 in the App Store.Tap the download icon to download onto the device.
- The first time your child uses PowerUp or Core5 at home they will need to enter their teacher's emailon the setup screen.Your child can then log in with the username and password they use at school.
Teacher Email (for set up)
First initial + surname e.g. nsmith
- Please don’t provide your child with extra help while using PowerUp or Core 5 at home. This way, teachers can see when help is needed and provide additional instruction from school.