Year 9 Options Process
Students follow the Key Stage 3 curriculum in Years 7-9 delivered through our Know It curriculum.
During Key Stage 4 pupils work towards national qualifications. At Manchester Enterprise Academy we begin teaching students Key Stage 4 GCSE and Vocational courses in Year 10. Students follow these courses for two years and if completed successfully, are awarded qualifications in these at the end of Year 11.
This is a very important time for Year 9 students as the decisions that they make during this process of choosing Key Stage 4 qualification subjects will unlock the opportunities for their future. At the end of Year 11 students will have two things: a set of exam results and a reference giving details about their behaviour, attendance and attitude. Good exam results open up choices as to what to do in the future, poor results restrict choices.
Ordinarily, we would invite parents, carers and students to school to hear presentations about the various subjects students may choose for their Key Stage 4 learning. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we are not able to hold this event at the Academy this year. Therefore, the process will run virtually as follows:
Options Process timeline:
Spring Term 1
- Tue 2nd February at 4.30pm - Y9 Options Information Evening (booking links sent out via text to parents/carers). After the event, the presentation will be available to view here.
- Wed 3rd February - Options booklets, letter, taster session booking form (students should pick at least 4) and surgery appointment form sent out. The Y9 Team will contact any students not booked onto taster sessions. To view the Options Booklets click here.
- Mon 8th February - Year 9 Options Taster Week commences. Timetable below:
Narrated PowerPoints will be available to download after the sessions here.
- Tue 9th February & Thursday 11th February - We are holding Parent Surgeries to answer questions and support students to make course choices if needed at the following times:
- Tue 9th February: 1-3pm
- Thur 11th February: 4-6pm
These can be booked via MyEd.
- Fri 12th February - Options forms go out to students.
- Mon 15th - Fri 19th February - Students and parents/carers review options booklet and website and make choices.
Spring Term 2:
- Mon 22nd February - Submit options forms.
What subjects will I take?
All students study:
- English Language & English Literature
- X Band students study Spanish
- Y band students study one of: Spanish / Sport / Health / Business
- One Humanities subject – either Geography or History (Foundation Learning Students can also choose to study Travel and Tourism)
- Fantastic Futures – not an examined course
- Core PE – not an examined course
Students will also study two of:
- Health & Social Care
- Performing Arts
- Separate Science
- Travel & Tourism
- Computer Science *
- I Media *
- Art **
- 3D Art (DT) **
- Textiles **
* One of – cannot choose both of these courses, only one or none at all
**One of – cannot choose all of these courses, only one or none at all
How will I know what to study?
- Read about ALL courses in the options booklet.
- Think about the kind of lessons you enjoy, and how you like to learn.
- Sign up for as many taster lessons as you wish (at least 4). You can watch any you missed on the Year 9 Team over half term.
- Chat to one of the Curriculum Team at our Parent Surgeries on Tuesday 9th or Thursday 11th February.
- View the PowerPoints which explain each course in more detail, available here, over half term.
- For additional information view the exam course details available here.